Help talk:Adding New Songs
I'd like to suggest a change from the naming convention of "Artist - Title" to just plain "Title"
Here are the reasons why:
- Songs are often recorded by various artists over the years. So doing Artist - Title can be misleading
- If the page was just the name of the Song then it should be easier to find using the Search function especially if the first item on this list is true
The reason it's artist - title is specifically because of the reason you mention, with just title we'd end up with conflicts ;)
As well, just searching for the artist, or the song, does return a list of pages with that word in it. Try it :)
-Nanenj 12:28, 25 December 2005 (PST)
Yeah, we talked about the possibility of doing that, but decide that we'd run into too many conflicts. One of the major ones is that there are frequently multiple songs with the same name that are completely unrelated. one quick example: Both Disturbed and Prodigy have songs named "Breathe", and they're completely different songs.
Another problem is that even when a song is re-recorded by a new artist, sometimes the lyrics are changed slighly. An example of this can be seen in the cover of Metro (oringally by Berlin) that System of a Down did; the lyrics of the two are slightly different.
In the case of covers, it's probably best to just have a note on the page for whoever did the cover noting who did the original, with a link back to the original.
-Evelyn 12:26, 25 December 2005 (PST)
- I suggest we move to KiwiLyrics's old naming scheme. KiwiLyrics is dead, so I'm sure they won't mind. They used the format "Artist/Album" and put all the lyrics from the CD on one page. However, if lyrics from different songs must be on separate pages, the format could be "Artist/Album/Title". This was a very effective method. -MindlessXD 15:36, 27 December 2005 (PST)
I'm not sure how that's much different then what we do have already. It seems that just uses a / instead of -. Is there any reason in particular that that's better?
-Nanenj 16:03, 27 December 2005 (PST)
- It is better if a user can type "http://lyriki.com/Metallica/Master_of_Puppets" and get all the lyrics for that album. As of right now, it seems that that style of URLs is disabled. I don't know much about running a wiki, so I don't know how to turn it on, but if enabled, this style works very well. --MindlessXD 16:08, 27 December 2005 (PST)
- Another advantage is that when " - " is a wiki title, it's link becomes "_-_" which is much more difficult to type than a slash. --MindlessXD 16:47, 27 December 2005 (PST)
- I'll have Evelyn look into this :) That does make a bit more sense, and it seems like that'd make one of my secondary goals more easily done. (Integrating third party tools with the wiki.) Thanks for the suggestion.
-Nanenj 22:02, 27 December 2005 (PST)
Should users really sign artist pages, as the Help:Adding New Artists page implies? This seems very un-wiki-esque, if that makes any sense.
In a way it does, but, at the same time. The reason for signing, is mainly habit. It's especially useful on 'talk' pages, and it's decently useful any time there's multiple edits, just to keep track of who is writing what. I also like that people are credited for their effort in initially adding something.
It's also a 'recommendation' ;) Which means do it if you like, don't if you don't. I personally like that ;)
-Nanenj 22:00, 27 December 2005 (PST)