Help talk:Adding New Artists
song titles on artist page?
do we really want all the song titles on the artist page? this really nullifies the usefulness of album pages. --MindlessXD 18:23, 29 December 2005 (PST)
- I've had trouble thinking about that, I -do- like the entire discography on one page, but, I like the pretty arrangement including album art. I tested album art on one of the queen pages, I don't quite like the effect adding the album art has on the entire discography thing. It's for sure something open for discussion. As well, having the individual album pages allows for a cleaner sorting by category. It may be slightly (mostly) redundant, but, it also depends on what exactly your after. The complete discography pages have little that can be added to them. But, since it's an 'artist' titled page that lists the discography, general information about the band can be on that page. The specific album pages, aside from tracklists, can house a multitude of other information, such as who wrote the individual songs, the band members in the band at the time of the song. (As well, forgive me, I've been using Artist and Band interchangeably). It's kind of segmentation that's slightly redundant, but, in my own opinion keeps some more structure. Might not be needed, as I've been questioning that myself, but, I -like- the album pages ;P if that makes any sense. --Nanenj 18:47, 29 December 2005 (PST)
- One thing to add to this, is something I've realized whilst editing tons of stuff ;). It's very easy to revert changes, move stuff around, etc. If the general consensus is to do something different then the above, it can easily be changed. There's only a few things I think I'm almost certain about, but, I'm sure even those I could be persuaded given the pros and cons. --Nanenj 18:50, 29 December 2005 (PST)
- Yay, yet another consecutive comment for me ;). Two people I've talked to about this have actually asked why we don't use both discographies x.X? It's something I haven't even thought of... This would be a prettier way of having an artist's own discography table of contents instead of the long list of links that shows up because of the == Header == used in the long discography versions. I'm not too sure on this, but, figured since it's been suggested twice, it's something worth tossing out for consideration. --Nanenj 00:24, 31 December 2005 (PST)
- I'm not sure what you mean "use both discographies". --MindlessXD 08:04, 31 December 2005 (PST)
- I got here because I was thinking the same thing... why list song titles on the artist page. I think it would make sense to have a list of albums on the artist page and then the lost of songs on the album page. So thats my input :) Bailey 18:21, 22 January 2006 (PST)
- Most of the artist pages I've done are using short discography. I'm not sure why long discography has been adopted by most entries despite the debate and popular opinion that the short ones make more sense :P. To be entirely honest, it doesn't matter much to me what way is decided on, there's a question asking this somewhere, and most that answered said short. :P To Mindless, Both was a suggestion of having a preceding list of albums, much like the TOC provides. It didn't make much sense to me then, and still doesn't. But, when I get suggestions I feel they need to be stated anyways. --Nanenj 10:30, 27 January 2006 (PST)
proposal for a change to artist information layout
After messing around with some artist pages (specifically Iron Maiden) I'd like to suggest changing
== Artist Info == Website: [url url] place additional artist information here == [[Artist:Album (Year)|Album]] == # [[Artist:Song|]] # [[Artist:Song|]] # [[Artist:Song|]] # [[Artist:Song|]] [[Category:Artists]] [[Category:Artists:Letter]]
== Artist Info == Website: [url url] place additional artist information here == Discography == === [[Artist:Album (Year)|Album]] === # [[Artist:Song|]] # [[Artist:Song|]] # [[Artist:Song|]] # [[Artist:Song|]] [[Category:Artists]] [[Category:Artists:Letter]]
I think this increases the consistency between the two type of artist pages as well as looking better with a large number of albums. Also I added a template to create a floating TOC, an artist page wityh a lot of albums loses information if the TOC isn't floating. Once again Iron Maiden being the example Bailey 10:43, 27 January 2006 (PST)
I think I just realized where the idea of putting the list of songs came from, and I'm betting it's cause the guides still have both format's listed with that one first. The format I favor is actually...
== Artist Info == Website: [url url] place additional artist information here == Discography == * Year [[Artist:Album (Year)|Album]] * Year [[Artist:Album (Year)|Album]] * Year [[Artist:Album (Year)|Album]]